Short-term effects of road and dam construction noise

Subject: Short-term effects of road and dam construction noise
From: "Paulo Pulgarin" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:55 -0500
Working for an environmental agency, I did bird surveys close to an
area of direct influence of heavy machine movement, big truck
movement, and in general, a lot of extra background noise for birds.
Usually ornithologists (at least in Colombia) don't include
bioacoustics information in such reports, but I would like to suggest
something about this.

I did recordings of the ambient environmental noise, and
also recorded several species living in the area. As a general
comment, do you think that it would be accurate to say that birds
are certainly being affected by the continuous exposure to this extra
noise? I am aware of the Brumm, and Slabbekoorn et al. publications;
however, I of course realize that I can't reach the conclusions they
do because of differences in the sampling and overall purpose of my
survey.

Does anyone know studies or reports commenting on short-term effects
(months or a couple of years)?

Thank you so much for any suggestions or comments.

Paulo C. Pulgarín-R
Instituto de Biología
Universidad de Antioquia
AA. 1226