RE: Songbirds audiogram.

To: <>
Subject: RE: Songbirds audiogram.
From: "Hough, Gerald" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:37:45 -0400
Hi folks,

The earlier works of J.C. Saunders (and I recall Manley and Gleich too) might
be helpful resources as well for finding information regarding the perceptual
limit of bird hearing...

I believe that the top perceptual limit for most bird hearing was around 8.5
kHz (from an older Saunders review article).  When I was doing a pilot project
(never completed) on high-frequency phase-locking ability of n. magno neurons
in zebra finch (with Sue Volman), I don't recall finding a lot of scientific
evidence of folks actually TESTING this limit in songbirds.  Individual species
might have a small number of hair cells/magno cells that can track sound up to
the barn owl limit, I just don't recall people testing frequencies higher than
2.5 kHz. Regardless, it might not be behaviorally relevant even if they do.

Of course, the last time I poked my head in that area was in the late 90's, so
advances might have been made in the interim.

-Gerald

Gerald Hough, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Dept's Biological Sciences and Psychology
Rowan University
201 Mullica Hill Rd, Glassboro NJ 08028