RE: Ultrasonic recordings

To: "Luis J. Villanueva-Rivera" <>, <>
Subject: RE: Ultrasonic recordings
From: "ONeill, William" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:56:32 -0500
Try Pettersson Elektronik http://www.batsound.com/

Some years back I was able to buy their excellent electrostatic
mike/preamp (like the one shown on the top of their bat detector on the
home page) for a reasonable price.  It is very broadband and quite
sensitive.  You would probably need to provide additional amplification
(we boosted the signal by 40 dB), and provide a DC bias voltage (150 V)
to power it.

Don't think they list this as a separate item, so you should email Lars
Pettersson about it directly.

Other than that, you could consider 1/4" mikes from B&K, ACO Pacific,
etc.  These are meant to be used in very demanding applications (sound
pressure meters and such).  New they are very expensive, and you would
need to purchase the appropriate preamps and power supplies as well.
You can get the mikes rebuilt for much less than new, but not sure about
the rest of the setup.  Drawback re the Petterssen mike is that they are
relatively insensitive and have a high intrinsic noise level.  Fine for
lab use, but not the best choice for the field.

Hope that helps,

William E. O'Neill, Ph.D.

Bat Auditory Research Lab
Dept. of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Univ. of Rochester Sch. of Med. and Dent.
Rochester, NY 14642-8603 USA

Phone: (585) 275-4023
FAX: (585) 756-5334
http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/smd/nanat/faculty-research/faculty-focus/2