Echolocation as an option

To: "Bioacoustics at Cornell" <>
Subject: Echolocation as an option
From: "Barry Blesser" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:26:07 -0500
For the last 5 years, I have been engaged in a research project exploring
auditory spatial awareness in a wide variety of species and situations. The
project has been published in my new book, "Spaces Speak, Are You Listening?
Experiencing Aural Architecture," which MIT Press has just released.

Fragmentary evidence in the literature suggests that there are many other
species besides bats and dolphins that use the auditory sense to navigate a
space, including shrews, rats, hamsters, and some species of birds. The
problem for researchers is that they can only infer what an animal is doing
by their behavior and that is extremely difficult to interpret. Humans also
have the option to navigate and orientate in a space by listening, most
notably some blind individuals.

For those who have a chance to read the book, please let me know of other
articles and research that would contribute to the foundation that I have
created. My work is only a beginning.

Additional information about the book can be found at the MIT Press web at:
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=10947 and I can
provide copies of the Introduction and Table of Contents if you send me an
email requesting them.

Barry Blesser (former MIT Prof)