new research fund

Subject: new research fund
From: Dave Mellinger <>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:16:03 -0700
This is forwarded on behalf of Roger Gentry, <>:

New Research Fund

By now, many in the bio-acoustics community have heard of a new research effort in
underwater acoustics called the "Joint Industry Programme on Sound and Marine
Life", funded by several oil- and gas-producing companies.  We support research on
the various sounds produced by offshore industry operations, their possible effects on
marine animals, and mitigation measures. We formally began in May 2006, and this week we
are opening our website which is intended primarily for researchers.  Please visit
www.soundandmarinelife.org.   The site contains all the information an applicant for
research support would need, from the program's history and objectives to its policies on
animal care and publication, plus application procedures.  The fund presently stands at
about $8 million per year and is open to researchers in any part of the world.  Proposal
selection follows the practices used by public funding agencies.  Our goal is to produce
high quality research papers in peer-reviewed
journals.

Please visit us.

Roger L. Gentry, Ph.D., Programme Manager