RE: Recording Question

To: "'Cornell III, Howard M'" <>, "'Anna Hall'" <>, <>
Subject: RE: Recording Question
From: "Justin Halls" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:36:12 +0100
Hi

I get very concerned when I see statements like 'As the bandwidth of your
microphone is 50 kHz, the 100 kHz sample rate is adequate'.  If a signal is
limited so that there are no components of detectable amplitude above 50kHz,
then a 100kHz (Nyquist) sampling rate is adequate, bu this is a theorteical
limit which implies that the signal and restoration filters have perfect
cut-off.  In the real world this is not true, it is certainly not true for a
microphone which tends to have a 12dB/octave drop above the specified 3dB
frequency.  Aliasing can be a very insidious effect(1) which can give rise
to invalid conclusions about signal structure and it is important to
understand the limitations of equipment, especially with digital techniques.
As a rule of thumb, a sampling frequency of 3 times the maximum signal
frequency is a safer bet, but if you need slower rates then you really have
to consider the rates of all the filters in the system, including the
microphone and amplifier responses, and both on the sampling and the
restoration sides of the system.

Justin Halls

1) Susan C. Silver and Justin A. T. Halls 1980
"Recording the Sounds of Hydropsychid Larvae - A Cauionary Tale"
J COMP PHYSIOL A, 140 159-161 1980