Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:00:17 -0700
This is forwarded from John Hildebrand, <>
37605 STAFF RESEARCH ASSOC II (100% Career)
Marine Physical Laboratory, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
Hiring Salary Range: $34,512 - $44,664/year
Reopened to: 11/07/2005
- UCSD Layoff from Career appointment or Special Selection: Apply by
10/13/05 to be considered with preference for rehire.
- Eligible Employee Rehabilitation Program clients should call (858)
534-6744 to discuss Special Selection.
- Layoff applicants leave a message at (858) 534-6333 or call your
assigned Sr. Employment Advisor
This position is union represented by RX. for more information go to
Work Location: Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO).
Able to spend 30 continuous days at sea, up to 90 days/year.
Deadline extended until 11/7/05.
Full Salary Range: $34,512 - $55,536.
Payroll Title: Staff Research Associate II.
As part of a research group studying marine mammals, analyze acoustic
data, assist in equipment preparation and collect field data. Analyze
acoustic data to detect marine mammal and other significant events
using computer software tools. Coordinate assembly, order parts and
conduct laboratory and field testing and evaluate equipment and
instrument performance using mechanical, electronic and software
tools. Make preparations for and execute seagoing and laboratory
operations: prepare, deploy and recover scientific instrumentation in
field and laboratory environments and assist in the logistics of
scientific research including purchase of equipment and supplies and
shipping/receiving of equipment. Provide direction for undergraduate
* Bachelors Degree in Science or Engineering or equivalent combination
of education and experience. Working knowledge of mathematics,
scientific, and engineering principles.
* Knowledge of Acoustics. Ability to handle oceanographic and acoustic
equipment in an at-sea environment.
* Analysis and diagnostic skills in approaching data acquired
including ability to acquire understanding of the instrumentation and
oceanographic processes to interpret the data.
* Demonstrated capability to utilize computers and various software
programs including MS Excel and MS Word. Ability to use Matlab and
Solidworks software programs preferred.
* Ability to use handtools, electronic tools, soldering equipment and
to drive a forklift.
* Detail oriented.
* Prefer knowledge of UC Shipping.
For details of this posting please go to the following link: