acoustical foam and bats

To: <>
Subject: acoustical foam and bats
From: jesse barber <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:04:58 EDT
Here's the dilemma:

The fire marshal does not approve of the Class C fire rated Sonex
polyurethane foam that lines our bat flight chamber.  Sonex makes a
ceramic based, Willtec foam that meets the Class A fire rating the
marshal requires.  This foam is naturally white.  It would only take a
few days for our bats to soil the foam and its likely that tracking our
bats on film, illuminated in the infrared, would be compromised with a
white background.  So, the options are to buy foam painted or dyed a
dark color.

Here are a few questions, but any thoughts would be appreciated:

Does anyone have any experience with painted (latex or hypalon covered)
foams reflective characteristics in the ultrasound range of 30-90 kHz?

How have your Animal Care and Use Committees responded to painted or
dyed acoustic foams?  Toxicity?

Thanks,

Jesse Barber