Marine Sound Collection Newsletter Issue 1

To: <>
Subject: Marine Sound Collection Newsletter Issue 1
From: "Shelagh A. Smith" <>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 00:32:38 EDT
The Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology has begun a roughly quarterly Marine Collection Newsletter for the marine bioacoustics community, in PDF format. The first edition is available for immediate download via (the file of 280 KB):
http://mlsource.ornith.cornell.edu/marine/newsletter/MCNIssue1.pdf

Information in the newsletter includes the marine sound collection status; information on accessing the collection; technical notes on recording gear and sound recording; and the NOPP-funded Sea of Sound Project. We also plan to use the newsletter to solicit advice from the community at large on tool development for exploring and analyzing the collection online, expansion of the collection, and other collection issues.

To avoid unsolicited mailings, I currently plan to email future editions of the PDF only to recent contributors to the collection, but I would like to get this information into the hands of anyone with interest in the project. Please visit the link above and look at this first edition. If you would like to be included on the email list for future editions, please send me an email or feel free to call.

Additionally, we currently have some open-reel tapes of Ken Norris' in the collection that we cannot play back on our reel-to-reel machines. If you or someone you know has access to a 1/2" 4-track in-line machine, capable of 30 & 60 ips playback, or a 1/2" 7-channel inline, capable of 15-60 ips playback (originals recorded on a Precisions Instruments), and you would be willing to loan it to the project, please contact me.

Best,
Shelagh

Shelagh A. Smith
Assistant Curator
Marine Collection
Macaulay Library of Natural Sounds

Cornell Lab of Ornithology
159 Sapsucker Woods Road
Ithaca, New York 14850
Phone: 607.254.2492
Fax: 607.254.2439

The Mission of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology: "To interpret and conserve the Earth's biological diversity through research, education, and citizen science focused on birds."