This is from Serge Masse <>. Please reply to him, not to
me. -Dave Mellinger,
Instant Messaging for Dolphins - Try It at Sea!
Seadragon 1.0 Beta Released ? Free (CPL)
For download and instructions:
Seadragon allows you to emit underwater whistles and
to acquire underwater whistles. You can now try to
communicate with many species of whales and dolphins.
Seadragon could be described as Instant Messaging for
dolphins and humans. It does not translate whistles.
It tries to recognize them, it gives a name to
unrecognized ones, and it is up to you to figure out
their meaning, if any. It allows you to emit whistles
underwater and to see the text names of whistles
emitted by cetaceans in response to yours.
This Version 1.0 Beta is for early adapters:
adventurous cetacean communication scientists or whale
watchers with a technical bent. Some free support is
provided via email.
[Editor's note: Note that in the U.S., doing something that
changes the behavior of a wild marine mammal is considered
Level B Harassment under the Marine Mammal Protection
Act. There are exceptions in some cases; for details, see
Main Features :
- Predefined whistles in editable text file (xml) -
new since 1.0
- Session whistles stored in editable Signals text
file (xml) - new since 1.0
- Session Report text file (xml) written during each
communication session, contains all messages
- Improved displayed whistles names - since 1.0
- Includes a MIDP2 client component for cellphones
(contact support for a demo version)
- Single machine (standalone) or multiple machines
configurations (backbone and p2p)
- Standalone configuration successfully tested on
Windows XP laptop (2 G Hz, 256 MB); the current
release package is configured for standalone
- Entirely written in Java - requires J2SE version 5.0
- Uses common built-in audio interface (e.g., Windows
Direct Audio, Microsoft Advance AC97 Audio); normally
no need for additional audio hardware.
- Input hydrophone in microphone jack, output
hydrophone in headphone jack (you purchase your
hydrophones from a third party, not from us; we don't
- Maximum whistle frequency: 20 kHz (fixed in this
version and to be increased with special audio
hardware in future version)
- Minimum whistle frequency: 1 kHz (adjustable)
- 48,000 voltage samples per second (fixed in this
- Choice of two frequency sampling rates: 10 and 40
frequency samples per second - new since 1.0
- Filters low frequency background (bg) noise: below 1
- Filters short signals as bg noise: less than 1/10
second long (adjustable) - new since 1.0
- Filters whistles that it emitted - new since 1.0
- System commands can be typed-in - new since 1.0
- Extensive auto diagnostics
Mac Users: This version does not work on the current
versions of Apple Mac OS. It will probably work when
Apple releases a version of its Java Runtime that is
compliant with J2SE 5.0.
License: CPL - Common Public License - commercial use
is allowed without fee.
Serge Masse (sm1)