article in Naturwissenschaften (2004), Vol 91/8

Subject: article in Naturwissenschaften (2004), Vol 91/8
From: Sonja Amoser <>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:26:54 -0700
Benjamin E. F. Gourbal, Mathieu Barthelemy, Gilles Petit, Claude Gabrion
 (2004): Spectrographic analysis of the ultrasonic vocalisations of adult
 male and female BALB/c mice. Naturwissenschaften, Volume 91 Number 8,
 381-385

 Abstract: In this study, a spectrographic analysis was designed to
 improve the description of the shape, the modulations, the rate, length
 and frequencies of BALB/c mouse calls in different behavioural
 situations. Male and female calls emitted during investigation of cages
 with clean bedding, soiled with male or female bedding, and during
 same-sex encounters, were recorded and described. BALB/c male mice
 uttered different types of vocalisations both when investigating
 counterpart odour cues and when interacting with same-sex counterparts.
 BALB/c female mice vocalised solely during same-sex counterpart
 encounters and it appeared that calls were uttered mainly by the
 resident females. Male and female mice present a complex array of calls,
 which seem to be linked to particular behavioural situations. Further
 studies using this technology may help to improve our understanding of
 the role of vocal communication in natural rodent populations.

 URL of article:
 <a  href="http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=TU82XR6YJQWL78VJ";
rel="nofollow">http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=TU82XR6YJQWL78VJ</a>

 DOI URL: <a  href="http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00114-004-0543-7";
rel="nofollow">http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00114-004-0543-7</a>

 Sonja Amoser

 Mag. Sonja Amoser
 Institut of Zoology, University of Vienna
 Althanstrasse 14, 1090 Vienna, Austria
 Tel: +43-1-4277-54515
 Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]