Re: anti-aliasing without filter?

Subject: Re: anti-aliasing without filter?
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:32:00 -0700
<tt>Yes, it makes sense. Though, you must be sure nothing enters into your
 electroacoustic chain.  Other than real sounds, you also have also to
 consider any electric interference coming from the environment in
 which you're working.</tt><br>
 <tt>Just as an example, while working on an oceanographic ship I needed to
 sample wideband hydrophones at 1 MHz to avoid aliasing due to heavy
 interference in the range 200 to 400 kHz. Then I filtered out unwanted
 frequencies by using software filters, and the final step was
downsampling.</tt><br>
 <tt>Depending on the equipment you have and the context in which you're
 working, oversampling can be a solution to avoid the use of expensive analog
 filters (sharp filters at very high frequency are normally expensive!). An
 additional positive effect of oversampling is a reduction of quantization
 noise when using industrial boards with 12 or 14 bits of resolution.</tt><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">Gianni
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre><br>
 <pre style="margin:
 Gianni Pavan
 Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
 Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
 Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
 Tel        +39-0382-507874
 Fax        +39-02-700-32921