Re: recording equipment

Subject: Re: recording equipment
From: Tom Dietsch <>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 09:03:14 -0700
after working well for the first month, I was unable to download files.
 The record functions still worked but once the hard disk was full, I had
 to switch to my back up minidisc unit.  Generally, the unit worked well in
 the field and the recordings sound good.  I haven't evaluated them
 digitally yet to see how they match up with other technologies.  The
 controls were not particularly intuitive and could be a bit frustrating as
 i was trying to get a recording started as a bird was singing.  This was
 mainly a problem when the settings got changed as I moved through brush or
 scrambled up hills.  The internal battery lasted several hours of
 recording time and recharged overnight.  Also, the recording level
 couldn't be set in wav mode from what I could tell.  The operating manual
 wasn't overly intuitive.  For my purpose, passive recording of point
 counts, the unit worked well.  I still need to contact the iRiver folks to
 find out why I couldn't download so I don't know if this is a software
 problem, a hardware failure, or user ineptitude.  I'll keep you posted.

 Cheers,

 Tom Dietsch
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]