Seal Scarers summary

Subject: Seal Scarers summary
From: paulo ribeiro <>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:31:55 -0800
everyone for their reply.

 Best Regards

 Paulo Freitas

 I used to work for the New England aquarium in Boston and I know they helped
 develop some seal 'scarers' and I believe they may have some literature on
 that subject.  The number for the library is (617) 973-5237.  The librarians
 name is Dot Wensink and her email is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 I hope that they may be of some help.
 Good luck in your research,
 Sincerely,
 Karen Lashenske
 Not sure if you're interested in the effectiveness of these devices or in
 potential side-effects on non-target species. The following studies have
 investigated the effect of seal scarers on various marine mammal species:
 ·       Morton, A.B., & Symonds, H.K. 2001: Displacement of Orcinus orca (L.)
by high
 amplitude sound in British Columbia, Canada. ICES Journal of Marine Science
 59(1):71-80
 ·       Olesiuk, P.F., Nichol, L.M., Snowden, M.J., & Ford, J.K.B. 2002:
Effects of
 the sound generated by an acoustic harassment device on the relative abundance
 and distribution of harbor porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) in Retreat Passage,
 British Columbia. Marine Mammal Science 18(4):843-862.
 ·       Yurk, H. & Trites, A. W. 2000: Experimental attempts to reduce
predation by
 harbor seals on out-migrating juvenile salmonids. Transactions of the American
 Fisheries Society 129(6):1360-1366
 Hope this helps.
 Volker Deecke

 A student of Jack Terhune <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> from the University of New
 Brunswick did a report or paper on the use of seal scarers along the East
 Coast of Canada. I cannot remember the name and a can't find the paper but
 you could contact Terhune regarding the publication. I used AIRMAR devices
 in a river to move seal away from a particular site. The paper is attached.

 Good Luck with your work.
 HaraldYurk

 I have a paper on the impact of these devices on killer whales

 Alexandra Morton
 This reference might help.

 Morton, A. B., and Symonds, H. K. 2002. Displacement of Orcinus orca
 (L.) by high amplitude sound in British Columbia, Canada. ICES. J. Mar.
 Sci. 59: 71-80

 cheers, Andy

 Johnston, D. W. 2002. The effect of acoustic harassment devices on harbour
 porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) in the Bay of Fundy, Canada. Biological
 Conservation
 108, 113-118.

 Culik BM, Koschinski S, Tregenza N, Ellis G (2000) Reactions of harbour
 porpoises
 (Phocoena phocoena) and herring (Clupea harengus) to acoustic alarms. Mar Ecol
 Prog Ser 211: 255-260
 <a  href="http://fp.ecologic.free-online.co.uk/SNHADDReview.pdf";
rel="nofollow">http://fp.ecologic.free-online.co.uk/SNHADDReview.pdf</a>
 Best,

 Luke
 Jacobs & Terhune  2002  The effectiveness of acoustic harassment
 devices in the Bay of Fundy, Canada: seal reactions and a noise
 exposure model.  Aquatic Mammals  28: 147-158.

 Terhune, Hoover & Jacobs. 2002  Potential detection and
 deterrence ranges by harbor seals of underwater acoustic
 harassment devices (AHD) in the Bay of Fundy, Canada.   J. World
 Aquaculture Soc. 33: 176-183

 and references therein.

 Regards,  J. Terhune
 This will give you a start. There are several more recent papers (Morton, A and
 Symonds,H.K. 2001 ICES Journal and another by Olesiuk and Ford in either MMS or
 Can. J. Zoology  j

 Jon Lien Ph.D.
 Following your call for information on marine mammal scarers, I have come
across
 a couple of references you may find helpful.  The first is an NMFS report at
 <a  href="http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/Publications/ProcRpt/PR%202003-02.pdf";
rel="nofollow">http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/Publications/ProcRpt/PR%202003-02.pdf</a>
 Loughborough Univ have worked on the project EPIC that was concerned with
marine
 mammal scarers.  They used to have link to their papers on-line but copyright
 concerns have resulted in them removing the links.  the point of contact was
 Dave Goodson but he died a few weeks ago.  Found one of them at Marine and
 Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology 29(1-4): 211-236, 1997
 The IWC Journal of Cetacean Research and Management have published some papers
 on this subject over the last few years.  A search using Google should find
 them.  Certainly Goodson was a leading author on this.
 Hope you find this useful.
 regards
 Peter Ward
 Paulo, we have given up on AHD's in British Columbia, Canada, and prohibited
 them, as they proved to be quite ineffective at deterring seal attacks
 (seals acclimatize to even the very powerful units) and we found they
 displace other marine mammals such as harbor porpoise and whales.  I've
 attached one study on the latter.
 Cheers,
 Peter O.
 I have been approached by salmon fishery owners about protecting their
 fish. They have tried acoustic scarers and find they only work initially
 until the predators get really hungry.

 Joe Blue
 Pres. Leviathan Legacy, Inc.

 And thanks to Dr. Simon Northridge.