Localization by the owl

Subject: Localization by the owl
From: herzfeld <>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:45:41 -0800
 I am developing a radically new model of localization and the only
 animal which at the present time does not fit the model is the owl. Some
 time ago Mark Konishi in e-mail to me said that:

  "owls cannot move individual feathers which form the sound collector
 (called the facial ruff). However they can move the ridge of skin on
 which these feathers occur."

 Does anyone know if this ridge of skin IS moved (vibrated) during the
 localization time? My estimates are that the movement may only be in the
 order of 1 or 2 mm of displacement, perhaps a shade more.  If it can be
 verified that such a movement does occur then I can add the owl to the
 list of animals that fall within the theory I have developed.

 Fred
 --
 Fred Herzfeld, MIT'54
 78 Glynn Marsh Drive #59