how best to connect a hydrophone to a laptop?

Subject: how best to connect a hydrophone to a laptop?
From: serge masse <>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:15:53 -0800
I want an inexpensive way to connect a hydrophone to a
 PC such as to the RCA mic jack of a laptop or a PCMCIA
 card. I will then write the software to read the
 audio-in port. I want to read frequencies between 1 Hz
 and 100 kHz and use my own software to read the input
 port. I already have the FFT and other signal
 processing completed.

 Does this make sense? For example, isn't the typical
 mic port build for the frequencies of the human audio
 range or can it accept a wider range? If I need a
 PCMCIA card or some other interface for the A/D then
 which one would you recommend?

 Which hydrophone(s) do you recommend?

 I am planning to release the software with an
 open-source licence. The prototype is currently at
 <a  href="http://leafy.dev.java.net/";
rel="nofollow">http://leafy.dev.java.net/</a> and at
 <a  href="http://sf.net/projects/c2h/";
rel="nofollow">http://sf.net/projects/c2h/</a> in the *file* sections.

 Thank you very much.

 serge masse
 montreal, canada

 =====

 Serge
 Leafy API: <a  href="http://leafy.dev.java.net/";
rel="nofollow">http://leafy.dev.java.net/</a>
 LeafySeaDragon: <a  href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/c2h/";
rel="nofollow">http://sourceforge.net/projects/c2h/</a>
 Simplequestion: <a  href="http://questionnaire.dev.java.net/";
rel="nofollow">http://questionnaire.dev.java.net/</a>

 "The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary
 telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it
 meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat." -
 Albert Einstein