bioacoustic article in Environmental Biology of Fishes

Subject: bioacoustic article in Environmental Biology of Fishes
From: Sonja Amoser <>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:26:04 -0800
I have downloaded the PDF, so feel free to contact me, if you want to
 have it.

 Brandon M. Casper, Phillip S. Lobel & Hong Y. Yan (2003): The hearing
 sensitivity of the little skate, Raja erinacea: A comparison of two
 methods. Environmental Biology of Fishes 68: 371-379, 2003.

 Synopsis: We determined the hearing sensitivity of the little skate,
 Raja erinacea, using two methods: Behavioral conditioning and the
 auditory brainstem response (ABR). This marks the first time that the
 hearing in any member of the Rajiformes has been examined and the
 first time that the ABR method has been used with an elasmobranch. We
 obtained audiograms of R. erinacea using each method and were found to
 be statistically similar. The best hearing sensitivity for R. erinacea
 was between 100 and 300 Hz. We compared the audiograms to audiograms
 obtained from other species of elasmobranchs. This analysis showed
 that R. erinacea, a bottom-dwelling elasmobranch, has less sensitive
 hearing than the lemon shark, Negaprion brevirostris, and the bull
 shark, Carcharhinus leucas, a free-swimming, raptorial
 elasmobranch. However, R. erinacea showed sensitivity comparable to
 that of the horn shark, Heterodontus francisi, another bottom-dwelling
 elasmobranch; both species feed primarily on benthic prey.  These
 findings are in agreement with Corwin's hypothesis (1978) that hearing
 sensitivity is correlated with feeding behavior. An examination of the
 macula neglecta of R. erinacea found a total count of 10 000 hair
 cells, which is within the range of other bottom-dwelling
 elasmobranchs.

 Key words: auditory brainstem response, behavioral conditioning, ear,
 elasmobranchs, sharks, rays

 URL of the article:
 <a  href="http://journals.kluweronline.com/article.asp?PIPS=5147966";
rel="nofollow">http://journals.kluweronline.com/article.asp?PIPS=5147966</a>

 Sonja Amoser, PhD student
 Institute of Zoology, University of Vienna,
 Althanstrasse 14, 1090 Vienna, Austria
 phone: +43-1-4277-54467 or  +43-664-5006106 (private phone)
 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]