Bioacoustics article in J Comp Psychol

Subject: Bioacoustics article in J Comp Psychol
From: a9403658 <>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:33:41 -0800
 Bloomfield, Laurie L., Christopher B. Sturdy, Leslie S. Phillmore, and
 Ronald G. Weisman. 2003. Open-ended categorization of chick-a-
 dee calls by Black-Capped Chickadees (Poecile atricapilla). pp.
 290?301.

 Abstract:
 The authors trained black-capped chickadees (Poecile atricapilla) in
 an operant discrimination with exemplars of black-capped and
 Carolina chick-a-dee calls, with the goal of determining whether the
 birds memorized the calls of conspecifics and heterospecifics or
 classified the calls by species. Black-capped calls served as both
 rewarded (S+) and unrewarded (S-) stimuli (the within-category
 discrimination), whereas Carolina chick-a-dee calls served as S-s
 (the between-category discrimination) in the black-capped chick-a-
 dee call S+ group. The Carolina call S+ group had Carolina calls as
 S+s and S-s (within-category) and black-capped calls as S-s
 (between-category). Both groups discriminated between call
 categories faster than within a call category. In 2 subsequent
 experiments, both S+ groups showed transfer to novel calls and
 propagation back to between-category calls. The results favor the
 hypothesis that the acoustically similar social calls of the 2 species
 constitute separate open-ended categories.

 Mag. Lidia Eva Wysocki
 Institute of Zoology, University of Vienna
 Althanstrasse 14
 A-1090 Vienna, Austria
 Phone: ++43-1-4277/54515
 Fax: ++43-1-4277-9544