article on animals that knock

Subject: article on animals that knock
From: Eric Eaton <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:24:47 +0000
Dear Friends:

 My article on animals that "knock" to communicate finally appears in
 "Ranger Rick" nature magazine in the September issue.

 As usual, the text bears virtually no resemblance to what I sent in, but
 the caricatures that illustrate it are a hoot!  They also booted the
 tok-tokkie beetles that inspired the story idea, in favor of some kind
 of leaf-rolling caterpillar recently discovered to make thumping
 distress signals.  Ah, well, the life of the writer.

 Special thanks to all the people on this listserv who helped me conduct
 the research so many moons ago.  Without the cooperation of real
 experts, I would not have a career in this business.

 Enjoy the story.  If any of you would like to collaborate on future
 stories for popular natural history magazines, just give me a ring.

 Eric R. Eaton

 <a  href="http://community.webtv.net/bugeric/BugEric";
rel="nofollow">http://community.webtv.net/bugeric/BugEric</a>

 <a  href="http://community.webtv.net/e-verse/FreeVerse";