Re: Ultrasound playback setup (from Raimund Specht)

Subject: Re: Ultrasound playback setup (from Raimund Specht)
From: Raimund Specht <>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:08:16 -0800
>are both limited to a 96kHz recording sample rate(per the specifications
 >I found via the above links), and are bandwidth limited to ~46kHz -3dB
 >rating for recording. There are a number of audio cards that use
 >brickwall filtering to limit high frequency response before the Nyquist
 >cutoff is reached, so be sure to read the specs carefully.

 Of course, these cards support the sampling rate of 192 kHz at playback
 only. Recording is limited to a sampling rate of 96 kHz. But Pawel asked
 for a playback system only (read the question carefully ;-). Recording is
 a different matter. For recording ultrasonic signals up to 250 kHz, the
 USB-based UltraSoundGate system (www.ultrasoundgate.com) would be one
 choice.

 > I suspect that both the sound cards mentioned have anti-aliasing filters
 > on the outputs so it may not be possible to take full advantage of the
 > high sampling rates unless there is a way of disabling or bypassing the
 > filters.  For example, the Audigy2 card is listed as having a frequency
 > response of 46 kHz.  I would be interested in hearing what sort of
 > frequency response people have actually achieved with these new
 > high-performance sound cards.  Also, do they really give you 24 bits of
 > signal-to-noise ratio?  A common problem with high resolution A/D and
 D/As
 > is that electronic noise pervents you from getting the last few bits of
 > performance out of the board.

 As mentioned before, the maximum sampling rates are different in recording
 and playback. You are absolutely right, due to the electronic noise floor,
 the least bits of such a 24 bit sample can be ignored. The manufacturers
 specify a dynamic rage of about 110 dB. That would correspond to 18.3
 bits. So, the 5 least bits will cary no significant information (only
 noise).

 Cheers,
 Raimund

 Raimund Specht