Another question regarding hydrophones

Subject: Another question regarding hydrophones
From: Harald Yurk <>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:22:44 -0800
 We are in the process of purchasing new hydrophones for acoustic field work
 on killer whales in Alaska. Someone recommended transducers by High Tech
 Inc., especially types of the HTI-96-MIN SERIES or HTI-94-SSQ SERIES. The
 company also offers custom made hydrophones. I don't have any experience
 with their products, and was wondering whether any of you had used the units
 in the past and can fill me in on the good, bad, and ugly about the them.
 Joe Blue's excellent web page gave a good overview of the specs, but
 unfortunately Joe doesn't have any info on the reliability and durability of
 the units.

 We generally make recordings at 10 to 15 meters depth. The frequency range
 of greatest importance to our research is 100Hz to 15kHz, although we using
 mainly SONY D8s and therefore record reliably signals up to 20 kHz. We also
 would use the transducers in a fixed application that is meant to operate
 year round. It therefore needs to handle strong currents well and the
 occasional hit by an unspecified object.

 Thank you very much for your time.

 Cheers,
 Harald

 Harald Yurk