Bioacoustical Oceanography Workshops

Subject: Bioacoustical Oceanography Workshops
From: Dave Mellinger <>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:01:55 -0800
in it.
 --Dave Mellinger

 A five-year series of Bioacoustical Oceanography courses will be initiated
 this summer at Friday Harbor Laboratories in Friday Harbor, WA. The series
 will renew the tradition of training courses held on this topic during the
 summers of 1993 - 1998. A primary goal of the proposed courses is to
 provide advanced undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral
 investigators with a broad understanding of the acoustic tools and
 techniques used to address basic questions associated with the distribution
 and behavior of marine mammals, their prey field, and their
 physical/chemical environment. By bringing together many of the top
 researchers in marine bioacoustics, biological oceanography, and marine
 mammal biology, cross-disciplinary exchange will be achieved. The students
 will have a unique opportunity to work side by side with active scientists
 using state-of-the-art tools and techniques. The courses also will act as a
 research magnet, attracting scientists to conduct their own research in a
 creative teaching environment that will catalyze future interactions across
 disciplines.

 For more information on this summer's course, including application
 materials, please visit <a
href="http://depts.washington.edu/fhl/classlist03.html";
rel="nofollow">http://depts.washington.edu/fhl/classlist03.html</a>.
 Additional information on this course and advanced follow-on courses is
 available from Chuck Greene at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION

 A. Workshop Formats

 We propose to conduct a five-year series of Bioacoustical Oceanography
 Workshops beginning in the summer of 2003 and concluding in January 2007.
 These workshops will be held to train advanced undergraduates, graduate
 students, and postdoctoral investigators in the fundamental principles of
 bioacoustical oceanography. A primary goal of the proposed workshops is to
 provide students with a broad understanding of the acoustic tools and
 techniques used to address basic questions associated with the distribution
 and behavior of marine mammals, their prey field, and their
 physical/chemical environment.

 Two types of workshops are proposed, roughly following the formats that
 worked so successfully during the workshops held between 1993 and 1998. The
 first type of workshop will serve as an overall introduction to the field,
 including lectures on the following subjects:
 Principles of Underwater Sound, Signal Processing, Zooplankton & Fisheries
 Acoustics, Marine Mammal Bioacoustics, Assessing Distribution & Abundance,
 Predator-Prey Ecology & Behavior, Complementary Methods, and Data
 Management, Analysis & Visualization (Appendix Table A1). Most of these
 subjects have been covered in previous workshops; however, the last two,
 Complementary Methods, and Data Management, Analysis & Visualization,
 represent a significant expansion in the scope of what we intend to cover.
 We believe that the use of complimentary methods involving satellite remote
 sensing, video plankton microscopy, and time-depth recorders are so
 important to the advancement of integrated field studies that they deserve
 special attention in our basic workshop. The basic workshop will be offered
 twice, once during summer 2003 and once during summer 2005. Both will be
 run as 5-week courses at the University of Washington's Friday Harbor
 Laboratories in Friday Harbor, WA. Twelve students will be invited to
 participate in each of these workshops. The first workshop in the new
 series will coincide with the 10th anniversary of the first workshop held
 at Friday Harbor during summer 1993.

 The second type of workshop, comparable to what we offered in 1996 and
 1998, will provide more advanced training to eight students from the basic
 course (or ones who can document a comparable level of experience in their
 application materials). These students will be given an opportunity to
 participate fully in an ongoing research program (Appendix Table A2). Four
 3-week advanced workshops are proposed here, all offered on the Big Island
 of Hawaii during January 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. In all advanced
 workshops, students will attend orientation lectures by workshop faculty
 during the first week, participate on a research cruise during the second
 week, and analyze results and prepare short reports on their findings
 during the third week. Written summaries will be included in an annual
 report for each workshop. As with the previous series of workshops, one of
 our principal goals is to have students conduct cutting-edge research that
 can be published afterwards (Greene, C.H., K.M. Fristrup, T.K. Stanton, R.
 Gisiner, and R.C. Tipper. 1998. Bioacoustical oceanography: an
 introduction. Deep-Sea Res. II 45: 1151-1153.).

 B. Faculty, Visiting Lecturers, and Seminar Speakers

 The Bioacoustical Oceanography Workshops proposed for 2003-2007 will have
 14 core faculty members (Appendix Table A3). These faculty members will be
 responsible for the lectures as well as the supervision of research
 projects. Although these faculty members are capable of covering the full
 range of subject matter addressed by our workshops, we prefer to bring in
 certain visitors to present special lectures and seminars. In the past, we
 have invited individuals to present topics in which they are the
 world-recognized authority. We plan to maintain this tradition and
 therefore request funds to support three to four lecturers and seminar
 speakers per year in addition to the core faculty members.

 --
 Charles H. Greene, Director
 Ocean Resources and Ecosystems Program