rainforest bioacoustics enquiry

Subject: rainforest bioacoustics enquiry
From: Dave Mellinger <>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:02:06 -0700
This message is sent on behalf of James Chapman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Please reply to him, not to me.  --Dave Mellinger

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:49:50 -0400 (EDT)

 I am a researcher working on a BBC film entitled 'Jungles' and am
 currently focusing my research on the wildlife sounds in rainforests.  We
 are going to create graphics to illustrate some sounds that the animals
 make.  We plan to overlay frequencies of various species over the virtual
 jungle.  Although we shall be primarily looking at sounds in the Congo
 rainforest we shall be making comparisons with the Amazon and rainforests
 of SE Asia.

 Is this anybody's area of expertise?  If so would it be possible to help
 me with the following:

 1.  I am looking to obtain the frequencies of some generic rainforest
 sounds for example- elephant infrasound, frogs, primates, cicadas and any
 other sounds worth a mention!  Ideally if the frequencies are in graph
 format we would then be able to display the frequencies as ripples/waves
 in the 3D jungle.  Also, is there any data which details how far the
 various frequencies travel is such environments?
 2. The importance of sound in jungles/rainforests.
 3. How sound is effected by environmental conditions e.g. temperature,
 dense obstructions such as trees etc
 4.  In the film forest elephants play quite a central theme - Where can I
 find information on forest elephant infrasound?
 5.  Are there any amazing facts or sound bites that you know associated
 with bioacoustiocs of rainforest animals?
 6.  Any other thoughts?  Is there anything else associated worth sound in
 the rainforest that you think is worth a mention that we might be able to
 feature visually and or audibly?

 Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.  I look forward
 to hearing from you as soon as possible but in the meantime all the best.

 Kind regards, James

 James Chapman
 'Jungles' Researcher
 BBC Natural History Unit