Re: Energy distribution in pulsed vocalizations

Subject: Re: Energy distribution in pulsed vocalizations
From: Harald Yurk <>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:27:13 -0700
Dear List Members,

 I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my question. To summarize;

 Dave Mellinger and William O'Neill both provided good explanations for
 differences in energy distribution of spectrographic side bands of the same
 pulsed vocalization. Both referred to physical phenomena that could affect
 the relative intensity of various side bands, such as bottom and surface
 reflection, depth of the vocalizing whale relative to the depth of the
 hydrophone.

 Furthermore, Dave, William, Magnus Wahlberg and Scott Murray pointed out
 that pulses have a temporal extension and thereby are in fact damped
 oscillations with a pulse tone frequency. The pulse rate, which can be
 controlled by the whale could have an influence on the relative strength of
 side bands, either constructive or destructive, depending on whether the
 pulse repetition rate is great enough to produce overlaps of single pulses.
 Many thanks to everyone, especially to Dave for the Bradbury and Vehrenkamp
 reference. The book was already sitting on my desk and is indeed very useful
 for the understanding of those phenomena.

 Best regards,
 Harald

 P.S. For those of you interested in killer whale calls. Our work on Alaskan
 resident killer whale calls has just been published in the latest issue of
 Animal Behaviour
 Harald Yurk

 Department of Zoology              Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre
 University of British Columbia     In Stanley Park, P.O. Box 3232
 6270 University Boulevard          Vancouver, B.C., Canada V6B 3X8
 Vancouver, B.C., Canada V6T 1Z4    Phone: (604) 6593429/3428/3430
 Phone:(604) 822-8181
 Fax:(604) 822-8180